Tabouli / Tabboulehby Liz Madsen
This super fresh herb and bulgur Mediterranean salad is the perfect snack, side, or even meal when paired with hummus and pita bread! It can be made gluten-free by swapping the bulgur grain for a gluten-free option like quinoa.
1 cup dry coarse bulgur (fine bulgur does not need to be cooked, only soaked)
1 ½ cup + ½ cup water, divided
1 large seedless/English cucumbers, finely diced (or peeled and seeded regular cucumbers)
1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered (others work, but these are more flavorful)
4 – 6 green onions, chopped
2 – 3 cups parsley leaves, chopped (to taste)
⅓ cup fresh mint leaves, chopped (omit if you don’t like mint)
The juice of 3-4 limes or 2-3 lemons
1 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
- Add the bulgur and 1 ½ cups water to a pot. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Let cook for a few minutes, until most of the water is absorbed. Add a half cup more, cover and remove from heat. Let sit covered for 10 minutes, then let it cool mostly before mixing with your vegetables.
- While you wait, chop all the veggies, and squeeze the citrus over them. Chop the herbs, add the salt, and mix everything together. Add in the bulgur and mix again.
- Serve room temperature or chilled. Love this as a pita or wrap filling!
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Makes: ~6 cups. Can be gluten free with one swap—try quinoa. Prep time: 15 minutes. Cook time: 20 minutes.
- Find more of Liz’s recipes at Zardyplants. This particular recipe is reprinted with permission from their e-book, Plant Based Jewish Recipes by Liz and Paul Madsen. Follow them on Facebook and Instagram.
Tofu Mushroom Cobb Salad This bright and flavorful salad will become a new lunch or dinner favorite in your house! Easy to make... Main
Tofu Piccata This delicious Piccata is made with tofu instead of meat and it’s really delicious and filling. This would make... Main
Easy Air Fryer Tofu, Broccoli, and Potato Dinner This easy dinner can be made all in your air fryer! You can also adapt any of the components... Main
Shabbat Harvest Plate Get your veggies in with this simple, delicious dinner! Main
Vegan Chicken Salad An easy, filling vegan chicken salad recipe for any time of year! Main
Rice Paper Bacon The easiest, tastiest and cheapest vegan bacon I’ve ever encountered: RICE PAPER BACON! Appetizer
Zucchini Fritters A perfect summer treat! Side
Lisa’s Shabbat Lemon Cake A bright, delicious cake to make your Shabbat a true oneg (delight). Dessert
Scrumptious Mac and Cheese (no boil) Baked vegan mac and cheese, using only one dish! Perfect for an easy and delicious Shabbat dinner, or any... Main
Tortilla Soup with Jackfruit Warming, filling, and easy to make, not to mention healthy and delicious! Main
Mushroom Stroganoff Comfort food at its finest. Main
Chocolate Covered Cookies with Peppermint A quick, easy treat that kids (and kids at heart) are sure to love! Dessert