Carrot Loxby Lisa Apfelberg
Unsure what to put on your bagel? We've got you covered! This recipe will give you all the flavors of lox, with none of the harm to fish and the planet. It doesn't get much better than that!
2 cups coarse sea salt*
3 large unpeeled carrots
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons liquid smoke
½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3 pieces of roasted seaweed (from the eat-out-of-the-package snack), crumbled into small pieces or chopped
Juice of one lemon
2 tablespoons of capers including liquid
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (191 degrees Celsius).
- Place one cup coarse salt into a glass baking dish and place uncut washed, still wet carrots into the salt, making sure they are surrounded by salt but not touching the bottom of the baking dish. Pour the remaining salt over the top.
- Roast uncovered for about an hour and a half, checking occasionally to ensure carrots have not become too soft. When they’re ready will depend on how thick your carrots were.
- When done, remove carrots from salt and allow to cool. Push off any extra salt and peel the skin. Use the peeler to cut the carrots into ribbons.
- Prepare the marinade by whisking together the olive oil, liquid smoke, vinegar, seaweed, lemon juice, and capers with liquid.
- Add the carrots to the marinade in a glass container with a lid. The carrots need to be placed into the refrigerator for at least two days so the flavor becomes like lox and the carrots will get softer and smoother.
- Serve on a bagel with vegan cream cheese and tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, dill, and salt and pepper.
*You may need more salt if your baking dish is very large. The idea is to submerge the carrots in salt.
Tofu Mushroom Cobb Salad This bright and flavorful salad will become a new lunch or dinner favorite in your house! Easy to make... Main
Tofu Piccata This delicious Piccata is made with tofu instead of meat and it’s really delicious and filling. This would make... Main
Easy Air Fryer Tofu, Broccoli, and Potato Dinner This easy dinner can be made all in your air fryer! You can also adapt any of the components... Main
Shabbat Harvest Plate Get your veggies in with this simple, delicious dinner! Main
Vegan Chicken Salad An easy, filling vegan chicken salad recipe for any time of year! Main
Rice Paper Bacon The easiest, tastiest and cheapest vegan bacon I’ve ever encountered: RICE PAPER BACON! Appetizer
Zucchini Fritters A perfect summer treat! Side
Lisa’s Shabbat Lemon Cake A bright, delicious cake to make your Shabbat a true oneg (delight). Dessert
Scrumptious Mac and Cheese (no boil) Baked vegan mac and cheese, using only one dish! Perfect for an easy and delicious Shabbat dinner, or any... Main
Tortilla Soup with Jackfruit Warming, filling, and easy to make, not to mention healthy and delicious! Main
Mushroom Stroganoff Comfort food at its finest. Main
Chocolate Covered Cookies with Peppermint A quick, easy treat that kids (and kids at heart) are sure to love! Dessert