Sweet Potato Breakfast Muffins (WFPB)by Lisa Apfelberg
These fluffy muffins use sweet potato and whole wheat flour, making them the perfect light and nutritious breakfast to-go.
1 cup cooked and cooled purple sweet potato with skin removed (I microwaved a large purple sweet potato and used half of it).
1 cup non-dairy milk
¼ cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons hemp seeds
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
⅛ cup mini non-dairy chocolate chips
Pecans to top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius) and line a muffin pan with parchment paper (or use a silicon muffin pan as I did)
- Put sweet potato, milk, syrup, hemp seeds, and vanilla into a bowl and mix it all together so that it becomes a thick dough. Make sure all of the sweet potato chunks are broken up.
- In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients together.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well. I mixed with my hands to make sure the dough all came together. I added an extra tablespoon of milk a few times to help this process.
- This will make 12 regular sized muffins but in my larger sized silicone muffin pan, it made six. I filled the openings about ½ full with the dough. I sprinkled additional cinnamon on the top and pressed a pecan in place as well.
- Bake on 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius) for 35 minutes. They are done when a knife inserted into one comes out clean. Allow to cool and enjoy!