Messer Wot (Red Lentil Stew)by Beejhy Barhany
A quick, easy, and filling stew with a delicious spice mix. Comfort food at its finest (and healthiest)!
For the berbere spice mix
1 cup chili powder or hot paprika
½ tablespoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon ground cardamom
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon granulate onion
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon ground cumin
½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
½ tablespoon ground nutmeg
½ tablespoon ground fenugreek seed
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
For the stew
2 cups red lentils, sorted
2 red onions, peeled
2 white onions, peeled and chopped
6 cloves of garlic, peeled
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled
1 cup oil
2 tablespoons berbere spice
1 teaspoon salt
1 – 6-ounce can tomato paste
4 cups water
- To make the berbere spice, sift and mix together all ingredients.
- Puree onions, garlic, and ginger in food processor.
- In a large pan sauté your onion, garlic, and ginger in oil. Cook until softened, for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato paste, ½ cup water, berbere spice, and salt. Cook for 15 minutes while stirring; reduce heat.
- Rinse lentils and add to pan; stir and bring to a boil; cover and simmer the lentils, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes until the lentils are soft. Add water as needed.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve with injera (Ethiopian flatbread) or rice.
- Beejhy is the owner and chef of Tsion Cafe, an Ethiopian cafe in Harlem, New York City.
- She is also the founder of The Beta Israel of North America (BINA) Cultural Foundation.
Tofu Mushroom Cobb Salad This bright and flavorful salad will become a new lunch or dinner favorite in your house! Easy to make... Main
Tofu Piccata This delicious Piccata is made with tofu instead of meat and it’s really delicious and filling. This would make... Main
Easy Air Fryer Tofu, Broccoli, and Potato Dinner This easy dinner can be made all in your air fryer! You can also adapt any of the components... Main
Shabbat Harvest Plate Get your veggies in with this simple, delicious dinner! Main
Vegan Chicken Salad An easy, filling vegan chicken salad recipe for any time of year! Main
Rice Paper Bacon The easiest, tastiest and cheapest vegan bacon I’ve ever encountered: RICE PAPER BACON! Appetizer
Zucchini Fritters A perfect summer treat! Side
Lisa’s Shabbat Lemon Cake A bright, delicious cake to make your Shabbat a true oneg (delight). Dessert
Scrumptious Mac and Cheese (no boil) Baked vegan mac and cheese, using only one dish! Perfect for an easy and delicious Shabbat dinner, or any... Main
Tortilla Soup with Jackfruit Warming, filling, and easy to make, not to mention healthy and delicious! Main
Mushroom Stroganoff Comfort food at its finest. Main
Chocolate Covered Cookies with Peppermint A quick, easy treat that kids (and kids at heart) are sure to love! Dessert