Mushroom Barley Soupby Ellen Kanner
This comfort classic requires minimal ingredients and effort and offers big rewards. The mushrooms themselves offer deep, rich flavor, and all kinds of immunity-boosting benefits, besides. It’s filling, nourishing, a perfect soup for the winter blahs.
1 ounce (roughly 1 cup) dried mushrooms, preferably organic
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 carrots, peeled and chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
1 cup pearl barley
8 ounces (1/2 pound) fresh mushrooms, preferably organic, wiped clean and chopped
1 bay leaf
Sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- Pour the dried mushrooms into a large pot. Bring 6 cups of water to boil. Pour the boiling water over the dried mushrooms. This will become the broth for your soup, and will soften the dried mushrooms, as well.
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Once it starts to shimmer, add the minced garlic and chopped carrots. Sauté vegetables, stirring occasionally, until they soften and begin to brown—about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the barley and the fresh mushrooms.
- Strain the broth from the dried mushroom water and add to the pot. Bring it to boil.
- Chop the softened dried mushrooms, and add them to the pot. Drop in the bay leaf. Give everything a sit.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. The barley will have swelled and become plump and tender. Remove the bay leaf.
- Season with sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Stir and serve!
- If the barley continues to drink up all the broth, thin soup with an additional cup of water or vegetable broth.
- Serves 4 to 6.
- Find more of Ellen’s recipes at Soulful Vegan and follow her on Facebook.
Tofu Mushroom Cobb Salad This bright and flavorful salad will become a new lunch or dinner favorite in your house! Easy to make... Main
Tofu Piccata This delicious Piccata is made with tofu instead of meat and it’s really delicious and filling. This would make... Main
Easy Air Fryer Tofu, Broccoli, and Potato Dinner This easy dinner can be made all in your air fryer! You can also adapt any of the components... Main
Shabbat Harvest Plate Get your veggies in with this simple, delicious dinner! Main
Vegan Chicken Salad An easy, filling vegan chicken salad recipe for any time of year! Main
Rice Paper Bacon The easiest, tastiest and cheapest vegan bacon I’ve ever encountered: RICE PAPER BACON! Appetizer
Zucchini Fritters A perfect summer treat! Side
Lisa’s Shabbat Lemon Cake A bright, delicious cake to make your Shabbat a true oneg (delight). Dessert
Scrumptious Mac and Cheese (no boil) Baked vegan mac and cheese, using only one dish! Perfect for an easy and delicious Shabbat dinner, or any... Main
Tortilla Soup with Jackfruit Warming, filling, and easy to make, not to mention healthy and delicious! Main
Mushroom Stroganoff Comfort food at its finest. Main
Chocolate Covered Cookies with Peppermint A quick, easy treat that kids (and kids at heart) are sure to love! Dessert