Barbecued Jackfruit Sandwichesby Lisa Apfelberg
The jackfruit is in the same family as the fig, but trust us, you wouldn't know it in these sandwiches. Tender, chewy, and full of vitamins and fiber, these sandwiches are perfect for a summer lunch (or in any
2 – 20-ounce cans of young green jackfruit in water
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
4 tablespoons barbecue sauce of choice
Half a head of green cabbage, shredded
One clove garlic, minced
One tablespoon vegan mayonnaise
Juice of one lemon
One teaspoon sriracha
Whole wheat buns
One tomato, sliced
- Rinse off jackfruit and remove seeds to the best of your ability. Break up any of the harder pieces at the core by chopping them up. Dry off the jackfruit.
- Mix the jackfruit with your spices and cook them in a frying pan over medium heat with a little bit of water (or oil) to dry them out and give them some color for about ten minutes.
- Add in the barbecue sauce (which can be diluted with water if it’s too thick) and turn the heat to low-medium and keep cooking for about 15 minutes until the barbecue sauce has adhered to the jackfruit and the color has deepened.
- While this is cooking, make your coleslaw by adding the mayonnaise, garlic, juice of one lemon, and sriracha together to make your dressing. Add in the shredded cabbage.
- Assemble your sandwich by putting a slice of tomato on your bun and heaping the barbecued jackfruit onto that and then pile on the coleslaw.
Tofu Mushroom Cobb Salad This bright and flavorful salad will become a new lunch or dinner favorite in your house! Easy to make... Main
Tofu Piccata This delicious Piccata is made with tofu instead of meat and it’s really delicious and filling. This would make... Main
Easy Air Fryer Tofu, Broccoli, and Potato Dinner This easy dinner can be made all in your air fryer! You can also adapt any of the components... Main
Shabbat Harvest Plate Get your veggies in with this simple, delicious dinner! Main
Vegan Chicken Salad An easy, filling vegan chicken salad recipe for any time of year! Main
Rice Paper Bacon The easiest, tastiest and cheapest vegan bacon I’ve ever encountered: RICE PAPER BACON! Appetizer
Zucchini Fritters A perfect summer treat! Side
Lisa’s Shabbat Lemon Cake A bright, delicious cake to make your Shabbat a true oneg (delight). Dessert
Scrumptious Mac and Cheese (no boil) Baked vegan mac and cheese, using only one dish! Perfect for an easy and delicious Shabbat dinner, or any... Main
Tortilla Soup with Jackfruit Warming, filling, and easy to make, not to mention healthy and delicious! Main
Mushroom Stroganoff Comfort food at its finest. Main
Chocolate Covered Cookies with Peppermint A quick, easy treat that kids (and kids at heart) are sure to love! Dessert