Ethiopian Gomen / Hamli / Collard Greensby Beejhy Barhany
Ethiopian gomen, or hamli, is a dish of softened collard greens that pairs beautifully with injera bread.
4 pounds collard greens, chopped
2 large yellow onions, peeled and cut into large chunks
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1 tablespoon ginger, peeled
½ cup oil
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ cup water
½ teaspoon each salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- Puree onions, garlic, and ginger in food processor.
- In a large pan sauté your onions, garlic, and ginger in oil. Cook until softened, for 10-15 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add collards, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cumin. Cook for 20 mins while stirring, until collards are soft.
- Add water as needed. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally.
- For extra spiciness, add one chopped jalapeño.
- Serve with injera or rice.
- Beejhy is the owner and chef of Tsion Cafe, an Ethiopian cafe in Harlem, New York City.
- She is also the founder of The Beta Israel of North America (BINA) Cultural Foundation.
Tofu Mushroom Cobb Salad This bright and flavorful salad will become a new lunch or dinner favorite in your house! Easy to make... Main
Tofu Piccata This delicious Piccata is made with tofu instead of meat and it’s really delicious and filling. This would make... Main
Easy Air Fryer Tofu, Broccoli, and Potato Dinner This easy dinner can be made all in your air fryer! You can also adapt any of the components... Main
Shabbat Harvest Plate Get your veggies in with this simple, delicious dinner! Main
Vegan Chicken Salad An easy, filling vegan chicken salad recipe for any time of year! Main
Rice Paper Bacon The easiest, tastiest and cheapest vegan bacon I’ve ever encountered: RICE PAPER BACON! Appetizer
Zucchini Fritters A perfect summer treat! Side
Lisa’s Shabbat Lemon Cake A bright, delicious cake to make your Shabbat a true oneg (delight). Dessert
Scrumptious Mac and Cheese (no boil) Baked vegan mac and cheese, using only one dish! Perfect for an easy and delicious Shabbat dinner, or any... Main
Tortilla Soup with Jackfruit Warming, filling, and easy to make, not to mention healthy and delicious! Main
Mushroom Stroganoff Comfort food at its finest. Main
Chocolate Covered Cookies with Peppermint A quick, easy treat that kids (and kids at heart) are sure to love! Dessert