Lisa’s Shabbat Lemon Cakeby Lisa Apfelberg
A bright, delicious cake to make your Shabbat a true oneg (delight).
3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup cornstarch
2 ½ tablespoons aluminum-free baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
Zest from two lemons
¼ cup lemon juice (from zested lemons)
1 cup organic granulated sugar
⅔ cup canola oil
1 ⅔ cup unsweetened soy milk
2 tablespoons applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon extract
Organic powdered sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (176 degrees Celsius).
- Whisk flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, turmeric and lemon zest together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, sugar, oil, milk, applesauce, vanilla and lemon extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk just until everything is combined.
- Oil a large bundt pan and pour the batter into the pan. Bake for 50 minutes. Check that a toothpick comes out clean and if not, put in for five minute increments until it’s clean.
- Allow it to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes until you can turn the pan over onto a rack and allow to cool the rest of the way.
- Decorate with powdered sugar.