Middle Eastern Eggplant Saladby Ellen Kanner
This easy salad does double duty, serving for both International Mediterranean Diet Month and National Salad Month. It offers loads of vibrant flavors and, unlike many eggplant recipes, is easy on the oil. Enjoy with tabbouleh, hummus, and other Mediterranean marvels as part of a mezze—small plates that make up a meal.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 eggplant, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 jalapeño, chopped
15-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 handful parsley, chopped
Sea salt, to taste
Toasted pine nuts for garnish, optional
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggplant, garlic, onion, and jalapeño, and cook, stirring, until vegetables soften, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste and allspice. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium. Keep cooking, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are very tender and the tomatoes have thickened.
- Add chopped parsley and optional pine nuts. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Serve over greens with whole grain pita for scooping.
- Ellen Kanner is the soulful vegan award-winning author of Feeding the Hungry Ghost: Life, Faith and What to Eat for Dinner (VegNews’ Book of the Year, PETA’s debut Book of the Month Club pick) and the e-book Beans: A Handful of Magic. Find more of her recipes and writing at Soulful Vegan.
Tofu Mushroom Cobb Salad This bright and flavorful salad will become a new lunch or dinner favorite in your house! Easy to make... Main
Tofu Piccata This delicious Piccata is made with tofu instead of meat and it’s really delicious and filling. This would make... Main
Easy Air Fryer Tofu, Broccoli, and Potato Dinner This easy dinner can be made all in your air fryer! You can also adapt any of the components... Main
Shabbat Harvest Plate Get your veggies in with this simple, delicious dinner! Main
Vegan Chicken Salad An easy, filling vegan chicken salad recipe for any time of year! Main
Rice Paper Bacon The easiest, tastiest and cheapest vegan bacon I’ve ever encountered: RICE PAPER BACON! Appetizer
Zucchini Fritters A perfect summer treat! Side
Lisa’s Shabbat Lemon Cake A bright, delicious cake to make your Shabbat a true oneg (delight). Dessert
Scrumptious Mac and Cheese (no boil) Baked vegan mac and cheese, using only one dish! Perfect for an easy and delicious Shabbat dinner, or any... Main
Tortilla Soup with Jackfruit Warming, filling, and easy to make, not to mention healthy and delicious! Main
Mushroom Stroganoff Comfort food at its finest. Main
Chocolate Covered Cookies with Peppermint A quick, easy treat that kids (and kids at heart) are sure to love! Dessert