Tembleque (Coconut Puerto Rican Custard) (WFPB)by Sabrina Bonaparte
Tembleque is a popular Puerto Rican dessert that is perfect to enjoy during Passover or Shavuot.
2 cups full-fat canned coconut milk
½ cup starch (cornstarch*, arrowroot, potato starch)
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup organic cane sugar
*corn is kitniyot and may not be suitable for Ashkenazim
- Shake your cans of coconut milk well, then pour them into a large bowl and stir coconut water and fat from the top of the can together to combine. Note: in warmer climates, this step may not be necessary if the fat has not settled on the top of the can.
- Pour mixed coconut milk into a large saucepan.
- Add sugar and salt and mix until combined.
- Slowly sift in starch little by little and whisk vigorously to combine (prevents clumping).
- Turn on heat to medium and stir continuously for 10-15 minutes, until thickened.
- Pour mixture into molds: single-serving ramekins, silicon muffin molds, parfait glasses, drinking glasses, or larger sized Bundt pan, 8×8 pan, or round cake pans.
- Cool on the counter until the mixture reaches room temperature.
- Place plastic wrap over containers and refrigerate until thick, cool, and springy to the touch (3-4 hours).
- To remove, slide a butter knife around the edges of the container and flip onto a plate.
- Dust with cinnamon and serve with a side of mango or papaya slices. Enjoy!
Recipe by Jewish Veg supporter Sabrina Bonaparte.
Blueberry Pancakes (WFPB) These delicious blueberry pancakes are super fluffy and you wouldn’t even know they’re actually good for you! Breakfast
Sweet Potato Breakfast Muffins (WFPB) These fluffy muffins use sweet potato and whole wheat flour, making them the perfect light and nutritious breakfast to-go. Breakfast
Matzah Bake This version of a Passover lasagna will be a hit at your Seder, and you’ll be tempted to make... Main
Cheesecake Dip (WFPB) This dairy-free dip is tastes like cheesecake but is made from tofu! It’s a great dip for fruit, pretzels,... Dessert
Spinach Noodle Kugel A twist on traditional sweet kugel, this is a savory kugel with spinach. Dairy and egg-free, easy and quick... Main
Tofu Egg Salad A perfect sandwich for a picnic… or just a quick and easy lunch! This egg salad is made out... Main
Vegan Cream Cheese (WFPB) This easy, creamy vegan cream cheese is super easy to make and packed with protein! Customize with add-ins like... Appetizer
Vegan Chicken (Seitan) Experience the ultimate succulent meaty texture and flavor with my seitan-based vegan chicken recipe. This plant-based alternative rivals the... Main
Vegan Shawarma Vegan Shawarma: A delicious, fast-to-make, and healthy plant-based version of the beloved Middle Eastern classic. Packed with savory, aromatic... Main
Vegan Baklava with Rosewater Syrup and Pistachios This divine baklava recipe features layers upon layers of crispy, golden-brown phyllo pastry that is generously stuffed with a... Dessert
Vegan Apple Cider Donuts Absolutely perfect donut shop-style cider donuts made entirely plant-based! Check out the complete step-by-step guide to making these Vegan... Dessert
Vegan Kimchi Fried Rice You’ll relish every scrumptious morsel of this delectable vegan kimchi fried rice (or kimchi bokkeum bap), bursting with bold... Main