Vegan Gondi (Chickpea Dumpling Stew)by Elena Dyulgerova
Vegan Gondi, Chickpea Dumpling Stew, is a Persian-Jewish Shabbat hors d’oeuvres. It is typically made with chicken, however, it has been veganized using ground cauliflower and chickpea flour. It can be served alone as a stew or along with basmati rice.
6 cups vegetable stock
1 pound cauliflower
6 ounces /170 grams chickpea flour / gram flour
1 yellow onion, grated or finely chopped
1 yellow onion, peeled and quartered
1/4 cup / 58 milliliters avocado oil
16 ounces /400 grams canned/tinned chickpeas, rinsed
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon turmeric + extra for the dumplings
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for the dumplings
Fresh cracked black pepper
Fresh herbs for garnish, optional
- Bring 6 cups veg stock to a boil, then lower to a simmer.
- Add the cauliflower florets, cumin seeds, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/4 tsp turmeric, bay leaves, and quartered onion.
- Let it simmer for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes remove the cooked cauliflower, and add it to a bowl. Discard the bay leaves.
- Mash the softened cauliflower, then add the grated onion, 1/4 tsp of turmeric, 1/4 cup oil, ground cumin, 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1/4 tsp of salt, and chickpea powder.
- Mix thoroughly without over-mixing. The mixture should be soft and sticky. Spoon the mixture into balls, and drop them onto the stock.
- Add the chickpeas to the broth. Bring to boil. Then lower the heat. Simmer 15-20 minutes. Garnish with your favorite herbs (optional).
Tofu Mushroom Cobb Salad This bright and flavorful salad will become a new lunch or dinner favorite in your house! Easy to make... Main
Tofu Piccata This delicious Piccata is made with tofu instead of meat and it’s really delicious and filling. This would make... Main
Easy Air Fryer Tofu, Broccoli, and Potato Dinner This easy dinner can be made all in your air fryer! You can also adapt any of the components... Main
Shabbat Harvest Plate Get your veggies in with this simple, delicious dinner! Main
Vegan Chicken Salad An easy, filling vegan chicken salad recipe for any time of year! Main
Rice Paper Bacon The easiest, tastiest and cheapest vegan bacon I’ve ever encountered: RICE PAPER BACON! Appetizer
Zucchini Fritters A perfect summer treat! Side
Lisa’s Shabbat Lemon Cake A bright, delicious cake to make your Shabbat a true oneg (delight). Dessert
Scrumptious Mac and Cheese (no boil) Baked vegan mac and cheese, using only one dish! Perfect for an easy and delicious Shabbat dinner, or any... Main
Tortilla Soup with Jackfruit Warming, filling, and easy to make, not to mention healthy and delicious! Main
Mushroom Stroganoff Comfort food at its finest. Main
Chocolate Covered Cookies with Peppermint A quick, easy treat that kids (and kids at heart) are sure to love! Dessert