Vegan Lahmacunby Candice Hutchings
This vegan lahmacun recipe is a Turkish-style version of the popular lahmacun dish, but plant-based. For this lahmacun, I used a spicy vegan ground round, homemade crust and vegetable topping to make this popular thin middle eastern style flatbread dish! If you’re craving a healthy and flavourful vegan lahmacun, I’ll show you how to make it using simple pizza-style dough topped with rich veggie and ground round topping and served with a garlicky vegan sauce.
For the crust
2 cups of all-purpose flour
¾ cup of warm water
¼ cup olive oil
1 + ½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 small package of instant yeast (.25 ounces)
NOTE: you can also use store-bought pizza dough if you’re pressed for time
For the topping
½ red pepper
½ serrano pepper, stemmed and seeded
1 Roma tomato
1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons olive oil
¾ cup vegan ground round / vegan meat crumbles
3 tablespoons tomato paste
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon paprika
⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt, divided
½ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1 cup plain vegan yogurt
4 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- To make the garlic sauce: Mix all the garlic sauce ingredients together in a bowl, and refrigerate.
- If you are making dough from scratch: In a small bowl, combine sugar, yeast, and warm water. Let the mixture sit until foamy, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a stand mixture, or large bowl, mix flour and salt. Make a well in the center.
When the yeast mixture is ready, add it to the well, with the olive oil, and mix to form a dough.
Lightly flour a clean surface, and transfer the dough. Knead until smooth, about 6 minutes. If you are using a stand mixer, simply knead the dough in your stand mixer for about 2 minutes.
Lightly oil a large bowl, and place the dough inside. Cover with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel, and allow it to rest until doubled in size, roughly 1 hour.
After it has proofed, punch down the dough. Divide the dough into 6 even balls and transfer to a floured baking sheet. Cover with a damp tea towel and let rest for 45 minutes.
- If you are using pizza dough: Allow it to come to room temperature, and rise.
- To assemble: Meanwhile, heat the oven to 475F with a pizza stone in the bottom third of the oven.
In a food processor, pulse peppers, tomatoes, parsley, onion, and garlic until everything is finely chopped. To a large bowl, add the pepper mixture, olive oil, ground round, tomato paste, cayenne, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, ½ tsp salt, and pepper and mix with your hands until everything is thoroughly combined. Season with additional salt if needed.
- When the dough is ready, one at a time, roll dough into a 10″ disk. Brush off any excess flour and transfer the dough disk to a piece of parchment paper.
- Top the dough with 3–4 tbsp of the pepper/ground round mixture, and spread it out evenly, and right to the edge of the dough.
- Transfer the dough with the parchment, to the pizza stone, and bake until the dough is golden brown, about 5–9 minutes.
- Serve immediately with a squeeze of lemon, garnish of chopped parsley, and a side of garlic yogurt sauce. You can eat these sliced into triangles or rolled up.